ICDAR 2021 Competition on Historical Map Segmentation (MAPSEG)
CALL FOR COMPETITORS
ICDAR 2021 COMPETITION ON HISTORICAL MAP SEGMENTATION (MAPSEG)
We would like to encourage you to participate in the ICDAR 2021
Competition on Historical Map Segmentation, to be organized in
conjunction with the 16th International Conference on Document Analysis
and Recognition (ICDAR), 5-10 September 2021, Lausanne (Switzerland).
This competition is organized by the LASTIG team of IGN (the French
National Mapping Agency), the R&D Lab. of EPITA (French engineering
school in computer science), and the Center of Historical Studies of
EHESS (French graduate schools of social sciences).
Why should you consider this competition?
- All datasets are released with an open licence as soon as they are
available (training and validation sets already available).
- Evaluation tools are released early with an open source licence.
- Winners of each task will be invited to co-author the report paper.
- We propose unsolved research problems at the frontiers of computer
sciences, social sciences and history, with an important potential
impact in the geographic information systems (GIS) community.
Downloads, mailing list, updates, evaluations tools available here:
Twitter account: @ICDAR21_MapSeg
Contact address: icdar21-mapseg-contact(at)googlegroups.com
- Task 1: detecting a set of closed shapes (building blocks) in the map
- Task 2: segmenting the map content from the rest of the sheet.
- Task 3: locating the intersection points of graticule lines
(historical georeferencing lines).
- Now: training and validation sets available - Training phase started
- March 31, 2021: Registration deadline for competition participants
- April 5 to April 16, 2021: Test phase
- April 23, 2021: Notification of results, Method description deadline
- July 1, 2021: Full dataset release, Full results disclosure.
Edwin Carlinet (LRDE/EPITA), Joseph Chazalon (LRDE/EPITA), Yizi Chen
(LASTIG/IGN & LRDE/EPITA), Bertrand Duménieu (CRH/EHESS), Thierry
Gé9raud (LRDE/EPITA), Clément Mallet (LASTIG/IGN), Julien Perret
(LASTIG/IGN & CRH/EHESS)